Understanding your Sewer Service

Shoalhaven Water operates an extensive system to transport your wastewater from your property to our treatment plants. As a property owner it is your responsibility to maintain or repair all the pipes inside your property through to the point of connection with our wastewater system.

This diagram shows where Council’s responsibility ends and the homeowner’s begin.

Sewerage Services

What do I do if I experience a blocked sewer?

If you are experiencing problems with your sewer system such as gurgling noises, sinks and toilets are slow to drain or their is an effluent overflow, call Shoalhaven Water before you call a plumber. 

We can assess if the problem lays in the Council mains or if the problem is somewhere within your property. If the problem is on our side, we will unblock the sewer at our expense. 

If the problem is on your side, we will advise you to call a plumber. 

For more information on blocked sewers, visit our Sewer Blockages page.

What happens if I have a stormwater problem?

Shoalhaven Water do not maintain the stormwater system. 

If you experience a stormwater issue contact Shoalhaven City Council on 4429 3111 or follow this link to Report a Problem.