Downsize, Upsize, Disconnect or Nominal Sizing

We understand that commercial activities sometimes change and may require an alteration to an existing meter connection. It is recommended that you read the below information before you apply for a meter alteration. 

Downsize or upsize a metered water service

When property use changes, an existing meter may need to be replaced to provide adequate service to the property. Downsizing or upsizing a water meter will affect water pressure to a property so any proposed changes must comply with relevant building and plumbing standards.  

All requests will be subject to assessment and approval by Shoalhaven Water. 

Commercial property resizing applications and payment of fees is the responsibility of:

  • Property owners; or
  • Secretary of Body Corporate (non-residential strata units)

Should unforeseen circumstances occur during works further fees may be charged.

What you need to apply

When you apply to resize a water meter, you must provide a hydraulic engineer's report indicating:

  • Existing water meter number
  • Recommendation of replacement size in accordance with relevant building standards (e.g. BCA, Plumbing & Drainage Standards, NSW Fire Service requirements)
  • Plans of the premises indicating all essential services (e.g. fire services, backflow prevention devices)
  • Water pressure certificate (if relevant)

How to apply

1. Submit the online application form.

2. Upload any relevant documentation to support your request (i.e. hydraulic engineers reports, plans, certificates).

What happens after you submit your request

On receipt of your application, we will:

  • Review the application to determine viability. 
  • Issue a payment advice (invoice).

On receipt of payment, we will schedule the resize of the current meter with the approved resized meter. You must ensure the site has a 2m square clearance where the work is to occur.

Resizing a meter will take to up 20 business day from date of payment.

Disconnecting a water meter service

Disconnection of a water meter may be required as part of a water development notice condition (e.g. prior to a dwelling demolition), or if you want to reduce the number of metered connections on a multi-dwelling property. 

There is no charge to disconnect a water meter service however, after disconnection the internal lines within the property are the responsibility of the property owner.

What you need to apply

When you apply for a disconnection, you will be asked to provide:

  • the water meter number.

How to apply

1. Submit our online application form. 

2. Provide the water meter number.

What happens after disconnection

Regardless of disconnection, the property owner will continue to receive ongoing quarterly availability charges on their water account.

Re-connection at a later stage will incur the cost of a new meter connection.

Nominal sizing of a water connection

The nominal sizing of a water meter means that the current connection stays in place, but availability charges are reduced to reflect a smaller connection. 

In the below circumstances, a recommendation is required via a consulting or hydraulic engineers report:

Fire Services

If your connection supports a fire service that requires a larger connection (say a 150mm service) but is only used in emergencies, we may nominal size the availability charge based on the connection size you would require to service the property excluding the fire safety system such as a 32mm service.

For properties where hose reels are connected, a nominal size will only be applicable if the hose reels are protected by lead security seals. The full cost of a service will be charged where seals are broken, not in place, or hoses are used for purposes other than firefighting.

Application must support demonstrated compliance with the Building Code of Australia (eg. Australian Standards for Hydrants and Hose Reel Codes, NSW Fire Brigade and Plumbing and Drainage Codes).

Low Pressure

If it is demonstrated that a property receives low water pressure less than 15 meters of head a nominal charge may be applied to the water account based on the size of the connection required for the property to ensure the correct supply of pressure.

Exceptional Circumstances

Shoalhaven Water may approve nominal sizing or quantity of connections if unique circumstances exist. Full circumstances and supporting documentation must be submitted to support your application.

What you need to apply

To apply for a nominal sized water meter, you must provide:

  • Your water meter number
  • Hydraulic engineers report demonstrating compliance with the relevant building standards (e.g. Australian Standards for Hydrants and Hose Reel Codes, NSW Fire Brigade Requirements and Plumbing and Drainage Standards)

How to apply

1. Submit the online application form.

2. Provide the water meter number.

3. Upload relevant reports (i.e. engineers report or supporting documentation).

What happens after submitting the request

On receipt of your application, we will:

  • Review your request to determine viability.

Approved applications will be notified and availability charges will be altered to reflect the smaller connection fee.

More information

Unless approved in writing by us it is an offence under the Local Government Act (LGA) to tamper with any metered service or fittings owned and operated by Shoalhaven Water.

The LGA 1993 (as amended) stipulates that penalties apply in cases where an offence has taken place in relation to Council's property and assets (refer to Part 3, Chapter 16 - Offences of the LGA).