Residential Meter Connections & Alterations

Shoalhaven Water provide and maintain the water service connection to your property, and this includes any repairs to the water meter. 

Water Meter Installation

Residential Water Meter Connections

Within the Shoalhaven, new dwellings and dual occupancy properties located within range of our water reticulation system are entitled to a 20mm service connection, and this generally includes a garden tap installed adjacent to the meter.  If you choose to install your meter in a pit, a garden tap will not be included.

Once a meter is installed at a property all internal pipes, taps, and drains on the property become the property owner’s responsibility. At any stage, should you notice the meter leaking, contact us and we will repair the service at no charge. 

Further to this, once a meter is installed on a property, the property owner will then receive water usage charges on their Water Account in addition to any service availability charges. 

Should the meter be damaged or interfered with, charges may be issued to the property owner.

For information on industrial, commercial, or medium density development connections, visit our Commercial Connections & Manifolds page.

Can I relocate my meter?

Building works or renovations can sometimes leave your meter in a not so convenient position and it may need an adjustment to the location. For a set fee, we provide the following meter alteration options:

  • Raise, lower or relocate the meter – we will move your meter up to 1m
  • Lower the meter into a pit – we offer the choice of plastic or metal lids (depending on traffic flow). 

Relocating the meter more than 1 metre will require a quote and is dependent on which side of the street the water main is located. As a guide you can determine whether you will require a short of long service by checking Dial Before You Dig

What do I need to provide in my request for an alteration to my water meter?

You will need to provide your existing meter number plus a site location plan. This will help us to know we have the right meter as well as the location you wish it to be moved. You will also need to provide the distance from where the existing meter is to where you would like it to be moved or raised to. 

Dual Occupancy or Granny Flat Connections

When it comes to dual occupancy developments or the addition of a granny flat, we provide the following two metering options: 2 x 20mm service connections, or a single 25mm connection.

To assist you financially plan, follow this link to our Dual Occupancy Meter Comparison Guide.

If a long service is required, the first meter installation is on us, we complete the underbore & conduit. For an additional metered service, the applicant must submit a design plan showing the proposed location of the long conduit including the type, length, and depth. When Shoalhaven Water approves this and your DA conditions have been met, you can then apply for an additional water meter connection. 

Your DA Notice will indicate the cost for the installation of both the first and additional metered services applicable to the current financial year.

How do I apply for a meter connection or alteration?

To apply for a new residential water meter connection or to make an alteration to the existing connection, follow this link to our online Meter Connection Request  

When using our online form, you are required to:

  • Upload a Service Location Plan showing us exactly where you would like the water meter/s installed, this can be attached as a jpg or pdf; and
  • Visit the Dial Before You Dig (DBYD) website to identify which side of the street the water main is located. If you are in a new development and the water main is located on the opposite side of the street, there is a chance a conduit is already in place. If this is the case, to install your water in a different location will result in further installation charges applying. 

What happens after I submit the water connection request?

On receipt and review of your water connection or alteration request, we will issue a payment advice which must be paid prior to work commencing. Please be advised:

  • It can take up to a week from lodgement to payment advice being issued
  • Work will not commence until full payment is made
  • On receipt of payment your request will be entered into the system. We will forward you an email with a unique reference number which can be used to follow up work status. 
  • Installations or alterations can take up to 8 weeks to complete. To avoid further delays, ensure you provide us accurate information.

Follow this link to review our guide to Meter Installation – Fees & Charges.

What are water usage charges?

Water usage charges are calculated on the amount of water that goes through the meter. We charge a dollar amount based on the number of kilolitres used. Once a meter is installed on the property, these charges will be issued to the property owner on their Water Account.  

To view our current water availability and water usage charges, follow this link to our Water Charges information page.

What is a Service Location Plan?

A Service Location Plan provides us the information we require to install or relocate your meter in the position you want. You can upload your plan in the format of jpg or pdf.

To avoid lengthy delays in processing your request, the nominated location of the meter must:

  • Be located along the front boundary, 
  • Not exceed 1 meter in from the front boundary, and
  • The site must have a 2m square clearance where the installation is to occur. 

Unmarked property boundaries or obstructions to or on the site will cause delays in installation. 

Service Location Plan

Terms and Conditions

  • Shoalhaven Water will only undertake work up to the meter, any internal plumbing will be the responsibility of the property owner.
  • It is the property owner's responsibility to ensure the position of the meter is located within the property boundary. Incorrect or unclear boundaries may result in costly relocation fees.
  • The nominated position must have a 2m square clearance for installation accessibility. Obstructions will result in delayed installation.
  • Council reserves the right to alter the position of the service if necessary and will notify you in this instance.
  • Once installed, all metered services will be levied water and wastewater availability charges based on the size and number of service connections. Sewer and trade waste charges may also apply.
  • If the applicant is not the property owner, the applicant must notify the owner of the impending charges.

Need More Help?

For further information regarding Residential Water Meter Connections or for advice on progress of an application, contact us on (02) 4429 3214.