Shoalhaven Water has important requirements that must be adhered to prior to demolition works.


Demolition requirements include:

Water Requirements

Internal water lines on the property are to be disconnected from the existing metered water service/s currently serving the lot (including any metered or unmetered fire service/s).

Sewerage Requirements

All existing internal sewer drainage pipe work is to be flushed, disconnected from the existing sewer junction and the sewer junction is to be temporarily capped off. Works must be inspected by Shoalhaven Water at the developer/applicant’s cost. 

All works must be undertaken by a licensed plumber in accordance with Shoalhaven Water’s requirements.

Why are there requirements?

  • We need to ensure the temporary capping off of the sewer junction sewerage system is not impacted by debris which can impact (block the sewer main) on the normal operation of the sewerage system; and
  • The disconnection of the existing metered or unmetered services is necessary to ensure that the water supply is protected from potential backflow which can contaminate the water supply system.

Non-Compliance Penalties

Non-compliance with these requirements can result in damage or blockages to Council’s assets and may result in costly rectification works and/or legal action.

How do I arrange an inspection?

There must be a minimum 2 working days’ notice for an inspection to occur. The requesting person (generally the plumber or contractor on larger projects) must provide:

  • their license number, and
  • WorkCover General Induction for Construction Work in NSW (white card) details and contact details. 

The person making the request for the inspection is liable for payment of the inspection/s.

The plumber/contractor shall be required to sign the inspection sheet after each inspection has been completed.   Failure to do so will result in the inspection being recorded as non-compliant and another inspection will be required.  

To arrange an inspection contact Shoalhaven Water’s Development Unit on 02 4429 3547 or email providing details of the property and development application it relates to.