How do I arrange a Septic Tank Cleanout?
For a standard septic tank cleanout please complete our online service request which is a pre-paid credit card service. This service will be conducted within 3 working days of us receiving the request and payment.
If you require an EMERGENCY Cleanout, contact us directly on 4429 3214.
An emergency service will be undertaken within 24 hours for an additional fee payable alongside the standard fees applicable. You will be billed for this service.
Maintaining a Septic System
Systems if carefully operated, can last 10 years before a cleanout is required. This of course depends on the care each system receives. The following is a guide on how to achieve the most from a system.
Points to consider:
- Every property that has an effluent pump out system (contained tanks) should be on a scheduled service frequency to maintain the approval to operate the system.
- Septic cleanouts (seep away systems and the collection tank of an effluent system) should be conducted at least every 10 years depending on the degree of use and care of the system discharges. Trenches to septic tank seep away systems should ideally be located away from trees and have cleared exposure to direct sun. Grass should be cut regularly to promote drying.
- Septic tanks are meant to be full. Some odours may be present and this is not unusual.
Please note that during excessive rain periods, rainwater may infiltrate the tanks or trenches on the property causing the system to fail. Keeping the tank lid clear of grass, plants and weeds is a good way of caring for your tank, if cracks appear in the lid and noticed it is important to get them fixed.
Septic Systems - Troubleshooting and Warning Signs
Look out for a few warning signs that signal that there are troubles with the septic tank. Ensure that these problems are attended to immediately to protect the health of residents and the environment.
Look out for the following:
- Water that drains too slowly
- Drain pipes that gurgle and make noises when air bubbles are forced back through the system
- Strong and persistent sewerage smells indicate a likely problem
- Water is backing up into the sink which may indicate that the septic system is already failing
What should be done if a system has any of the warning signs?
Several products are available on the market that can assist with the maintenance of a septic tank. Most are enzyme activated products that digest fats, grease and other wastes that can clog the system and cause odours. Usually dosed through the toilet and then flushed, it will significantly increase the time between cleanouts.
Further information on Maintaining a Healthy Septic System can be found in Additional Information.