The Shoalhaven water supply is designed to be secure but there will be times under prolonged drought conditions when Shoalhaven Water will be forced to restrict water usage in order to preserve the City’s supplies to meet essential needs. The water supply scheme and drought management is driven by defined trigger points based on consumption, storage and weather factors.
When the Shoalhaven region experiences an extended dry period and the long term outlook by the Bureau of Meteorology indicates a lower than normal prediction for good rainfall, Council has a duty to follow the Drought Management Plan which encompass these events.
To find out what water related activities are restricted during water restrictions follow these links:
Visit our Water Snapshot page to stay up-to-date on our dam levels and river flows.
What are Level One Water Restrictions?
Level One water restrictions are brought into place when our main water supply at Bamarang reduces to 60% capacity resulting in water having to be pumped from Danjera Dam to top up our off-creek water supplies. During these times it is important that the community look for ways to conserve water in and around their property.
In general terms water usage will involve restrictions on:
- Garden and/or lawn watering (including new turf)
- Use of sprinklers, drip irrigation and unattended hoses
- Washing down paved areas or hard surfaces
- Washing of vehicles, boats and caravans
- Topping up of existing swimming pools
More information can be found if you follow this link to our FAQ's.
What is a Special Variation?
Special Variations are for users that require additional water outside of the normal restriction levels. If you are unsure of the set restrictions, please review the links above titled Around the Home or Business Related.
If you require the use of water for a specific purpose outside of the set restrictions, you must Apply Online for a Special Variation. Approval to your request generally takes two working days.
Penalties apply for non-compliance of restrictions and may result in fines of up to $2,200.
What can I do if I see someone breaching the water restrictions?
Contact Shoalhaven Water on 1300 662 246 or email email@example.com and provide the following information:
- Date and time of alleged breach
- Property address
- Details of the breach
You may remain anonymous if you do not wish to give your name.
I'm not on town water and my tanks are dry, can Shoalhaven Water help?
There are a number of commercial water carters in the city and who are appropriately licensed to transport and supply potable drinking water.
A listing of water cartage operators in the Shoalhaven can be found in the yellow pages online www.yellowpages.com.au
Water Restrictions are lifted when:
- The long term forecast for rain is considered positive,
- The three Council dams are full,
- It is unlikely that water restrictions will be re-imposed within 3 months,
- At least 3 weeks has elapsed following substantial rain to confirm the stable flow inflow into Tallowa Dam,
- The stable flow in the river is predicted or confirmed being greater than 135 ML/day, and
- If there is still some uncertainty after 3 weeks, move to ease until stable river flow can be confirmed.
For further information on water restrictions contact Shoalhaven Water on 1300 662 246.