Council’s Building over Sewer Policy specifies the requirements for building over and/or close to sewer assets.
A written application must be submitted to Shoalhaven Water that includes the following information:
- Two (2) copies of the approved Building Plans.
- Site survey plan by a Registered Surveyor. All levels to Australian Height Datum (AHD).
- Two (2) copies of certified engineering plans, indicating soil classification and type, and protection requirements of the sewer infrastructure and proposed/existing structure/s in accordance with Council’s Building over Sewer Policy.
- Payment of the Building over Sewer Plan checking fee. Refer to Shoalhaven Council’s Fees and Charges.
All works relating directly to the sewer infrastructure, as specified in the Development Application Notice and Building over Sewer approval are required to be carried out in the presence and to the satisfaction of Shoalhaven Water’s inspector.
Inspection for any works should be arranged and confirmed at least 2 working days in advance and will be at the cost of the developer/applicant.
Points to consider:
- Sewer infrastructure must be suitably protected from damage, and to enable maintenance, minimum clearances are required to be maintained from proposed structures.
- Unrestricted access to all manholes, lampholes and/or maintenance shafts and junctions shall be provided and maintained at all times.
- Concrete encasement of the sewer main is required for the protection of the affected pipe and any associated infrastructure due to the loss of access.
For further information download the Building over Sewers Policy or contact Shoalhaven Water’s Projects Development Unit on 02 4429 3547.
Water Supply Assets
Building over the water supply assets is NOT permitted (this includes but is not limited to water service lines, water mains, fittings, fixtures, etc). Where a development is proposed adjacent to a water supply asset, a separate written application shall be made to Shoalhaven Water’s Projects / Development Unit for assessment and determination.